Tuesday 23 April 2013

In the harness

First time in the harness!

Our entire group class was super excited when coach announced that we're getting a go on the harness in group class! I've been itching to try it even though I don't really have anything to practice on it for, it's not like I'm doing axels or any doubles yet.

When she asked who wanted to go first, we were all a little hesitant. I said I'd love to try but I have no clue what I'm supposed to try with it. So coach suggested me to try an axel. So in addition to being in the harness for the first time, I also tried an axel for the first time!

Since I have never used the harness before (I didn't even know what I was supposed to do with it when she handed it to me lol), we went through a few basic things to get a feel, like jumping up and down on the spot, and jumping and rotating once on the spot. Then she got me to do a waltz jump from a standstill. Waltz jumps should be easy enough at this point, but not if you've never been on the harness! The fact that there was still a slight pull upwards when I'm about to land threw me off the landing timing completely, and I couldn't land at all. I want to say I fell, but since she was pulling on the harness, I sort of slowly dropped to the floor awkwardly instead. Waltz jump worked on the second try, so on to a waltz-loop. Again, that gradual drop to the ice, but two more tries and it was good enough.

We had about ten people to go in our class time of 45 min, so we each only had a few minutes to play. So fast forward to trying an axel! Of course I didn't even come close to landing one, but it was really fun. It was so liberating to not be scared at all and just throw myself up in the air. I have no clue how far in the rotation I managed to get, I wish I could have seen myself. According to coach though, I did really good (but she's always very lavishing with compliments though). Super fun group class!

I can't wait for the day when I really get to work on axels! But as I can't even do a backspin yet, there's probably still quite a while to go.

8 comments:

  1. How fun!! I've always been told I'm too tall for the harness (5'^ 1/2") so I am really jealous right now. Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that five feet six and one half inches. Never type in bad lighting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're the exact same height! I didn't hear about a height restriction for the harness. A guy who was taller than me got a go on it too. Maybe different harnesses work differently. Maybe if you tried another rink you could get a go!
      It was only a one-time-for-fun thing in group class though, and my own private coach doesn't seem to be a big fan of the harness, so it seems unlikely I'll get another go anytime soon.

      Delete
  3. So glad you had fun in the harness! It really is a different feeling, isn't it? Can't wait to hear about your future axel attempts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's really weird to have something pulling on you. Hope those axel attempts won't be tooooooo far in the future!

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous, too! I feel like coaches keep *hinting* at the harness (and axels!) for me, but we've just not quite gotten there. Part of it I think has to do with training schedule. Now I'm preparing for a competition, now I'm preparing for a test, now I'm solidifying some other element, etc. etc.

    Also, as far as the height thing goes, I'm 5'8" and today I saw an adult skater who's taller than me working on axels on the harness with a coach who is shorter than me. So it's certainly possible with at least some harnesses/coaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really there yet either, it's just a fun thing we did in group class. I'm lucky to have such a fun group coach!
      I understand what you mean with the schedule though, I felt the same way. There was always a rush rush rush need to get something (test/recital program) done, that we didn't have time to work on other stuff. So I've pushed my test back and now I get to work on moves and also jumps and spins as well.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete