Friday 28 September 2012

GAM Select's first outing


So I skated in them today and I luuuuuuurve the Ultima Legacy blades! The edges grabbed the ice so well I just felt really solid on the ice. It seemed to do the turns for me almost. The bigger toe picks still scare me a bit, so I'm a little timid of jumping, but they definitely help, I could feel it when doing my toe loop.
The GAM Select boots are still under observation, I don't have much thought on them except being happy that I don't have to lace so tight anymore.

The first time with the new boots on, I laced out of habit really tight like I used to on the breaking-down old skates. I went out to skate and the arches of both my feet hurt, and almost got cramps. After ten to fifteen minutes I couldn't stand it anymore and had to go sit down and take them off. I was about to cry at this point because I thought the boots were not wide enough, even though they are the exact same size/width/brand. After resting and retying more loosely, it was still a little sore but not to the point where it hurt, thankfully. So I guess it was just me lacing too tightly around the arch area! Phew!

Asides from this little problem, I had no trouble "breaking in" the boots. In fact, I don't think I was breaking them in at all. Asides from adjusting to the new blade, the boot didn't really feel much different, just a little stiffer and more supportive. I laced all the way to the top after fifteen minutes, and could bend my knees and ankles just fine, on jumps and even sit spins!

I hope this doesn't mean that I'll break them down in less than a year...



So equipment stuff aside, I have a bit of skating news.

I did a camel spin today!!! Only one revolution but definitely a camel spin!
And my sit spin has progressed to 3 revolutions, and it was actually right on the sweet spot too!!
The Ultima Legacy blade does wonders!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your new blades! For some reason I feel like new boots are just a necessity, you get 'em because you need 'em, but upgrading to a different blade feels like such a step up to the next level. Congrats on the improved spins too! My sit spin is terrible, 3 revs is awesome. I still find camels easier to practice - they're not necessarily better, but I don't feel like I'm going to crash on my tailbone every time, so I'm more like to keep at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the opposite lol, I was more excited about better boots but didn't feel anything about the blades. I let my coach and fitter discuss and decide the blades completely, I didn't know anything about it till the day before I was going to buy it. I guess this comes out of not understanding much about blades. I couldn't see HOW blades could actually improve or help with anything, even though everyone says how much better good blades are.
      That sit spin really surprised me. I only managed so many revs because I was on the sweet spot, but it only happened that once lol. I always crash on my butt, and since I'm low to the ground anyway, it doesn't hurt at all (I just get wet after too many tries). Maybe you should try falling to one side so it doesn't hit center, ie. your tailbone. Camels scare me more because I feel like I'm going to crash on my head if I fall!

      Delete