Wednesday 10 October 2012

Blisters

Ouch! I got my first (hopefully last?) blister from skating.

I had no knee/ankle bending problems with the new boots, so I assumed they were not too stiff. So when I felt the back of the left boot digging into the back of my leg, I convinced myself that I would just need to get used to it.

That is, until I became obsessed with practicing sit spins, a position that has the top back of the left boot digging in even more. So there I was, happily (trying) spinning away in my "squat" position, when the back of my leg started hurting more and more. Eventually I couldn't stand it any longer, went to take off my skate, peel off my sock, and lo and behold, there was a blister! It was actually already popped, so I'm not too sure if it even was a blister or if it was just rubbed raw. Anyway, it hurt quite a bit.

The very next day I went to the pro shop and got myself those silipose gel sleeves.

Tried them on Tuesday morning, they felt really comfortable! Definitely recommend them to any one with boot-digging-into-leg problems!

And now I can go back to practicing sit spins! It's becoming my favourite spin (which is not hard considering that I just don't like spins in general). Hopefully when my muscles are stronger I will be able to hold myself up and stop falling out of it every time. I like camel spins too except that I'm afraid that I'm going to a) topple forward and face plant; or b) kill someone with my blade stuck out swinging around in uneven circles. Nevertheless, I still have fun trying them out : )

2 comments:

  1. Those gel sleeves are awesome. I probably couldn't skate without them (or, at least, not for very long). How thick are the silipos ones? I have bunga pads, and I like them but I do find them a little thick. They do the job though.

    Congrats on spin progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty thin! I'd say maybe 3-4 mm (0.1-0.2 inch?)
      Eventually when my boots get softer I'm going to leave them off though. It gets sweaty and kind of disgusting on the inside...

      Delete