Tuesday 16 October 2012

Four minutes in heaven

Saturday night, I was deliriously happy for four minutes. I had the ENTIRE rink to myself! It was at the end of a light public session, and everybody had left the ice. Four short, precious minutes before the Zamboni came on. I loved it.

I have never, ever skated on a full sheet of ice all to myself before. The best was maybe four people on the ice. I know in some skating-is-less-than-popular places, and at strange hours of the day, it might be quite common. But for me, this was a first.

It's really hard to describe the feeling I had. A mixture of elation and freedom and joy at being able to do whatever I want, wherever I want. I did all the elements I could do (which unfortunately does not include loop jumps and flip jumps any more), without stopping in between like I would normally do when just practicing. It was as if I was running through a program. I only wish I knew more transition things like footwork, instead, all I could do were stroking, crossovers, three-turns, mohawks, spirals and that was about it. I did have fun trying out backward spirals for the first time (I've been afraid to try in fear of killing someone).

Four minutes was so short... but to be honest, I was exhausted (albeit very fulfilled) after skating continuously like that. I can't imagine doing a long program!

The session overall was pretty light, even though it was Saturday night. Met two of my skating friends and chatted way too much. Fooled around with some different things and even tried a hydroblade for the first time. I've never understood the attraction that a few teenage girls at our rink had for this, but it was really fun! Don't know how much of the fun factor was because I'd always end up collapsed on the floor and giggling from the fall though. 

All in all, a great skate day. Oh, and I had a few itsy bitsy loops come back for a visit too! Hope they will stay and grow bigger!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE empty rinks. Isn't it awesome to skate around not having to dodge other people every other move? I don't get totally empty ice often, but I'm used to fairly unpopulated publics so I find crowded freestyle sessions pretty stressful. Skating publics is probably more erratic though, because you might get a really quiet week, or you might get surprised by a huge group or class.

    I'm sure your loops and flips will revisit soon! You seem to have great jumping instincts so you'll have 'em back in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was awesome! The freestyles I go to are definitely less populated than publics. It's because my group lesson pass includes one public session a week that I still go.

      Thanks for the compliment, I really hope that those jumps will be back soon!

      Delete