Tuesday 6 November 2012

Breathe

A while ago on skatingforums, there was a discussion on needing to remember to breathe while doing elements. I was like huh? how can you forget to breathe?

Well... now I do it too.

Today's lesson was the first time coach J wanted to see my moves/elements as if I was being tested. She stood to one side and watched with a critical eye as opposed to following me around like we were just practicing. This made so much of a difference for my nerves. After the first simple perimeter stroking, I skated over to her and let out a big gasp. She laughed and asked "Did you not breathe at all?". Only then did I realize that I really was holding my breath!

I doubt this is a habit I'll be able to get rid of right now, at least not for my first test, because I'm just nervous! It's so silly though, and not helpful at all as I really need all the oxygen I can get to not be out of breath.

Coach J put together my pre-bronze freeskate "program" (without music) today.
Two-foot spin --> crossovers --> waltz jump --> spiral --> toe loop jump --> one-foot spin
I drew a little diagram of the order and whereabouts I'm supposed to do each element. I hope I remember! And I hope I won't get too disoriented coming out of the spin.

I'm feeling better on the pre-bronze test now. Perimeter stroking, crossovers, the forward edges and spirals are solidly good to go. Back edges and waltz-8s are doable, but they need to be more stable and polished. I should be able to do that in 3 weeks, 4 more lessons (fingers crossed).

2 comments:

  1. Yay for testing! Are you excited about starting on that whole testing/competing path? I don't have a testing date in mind for myself but I hope I can give it a go in the next few months. Maybe January?

    If you're able to do all the elements right now, 3 weeks should be plenty of time to get them really strong and test-worthy. You could probably pass right now, but I think it's always a good idea to give yourself a little wiggle room, to compensate for nerves and shaky legs on test day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I'm not sure if I'm excited about testing... at this point I kind of just want to get the test over and done with so I can learn different things. I have a long list of things I'd like my coach to teach me, such as twizzles and Ina Bauers, but we've just been working on the test elements. There's only so much you can do for half an hour a week.

      I can do all the elements, but they (back edges and waltz-8s) are definitely not passing standard yet. Still have a lot of work to do! Thanks for the luck, I'll need it!

      Delete