Saturday 3 November 2012

Skating anniversary

Going on to my second year of being an adult figure skater!

I don't remember precisely the day I started my first group lessons, but it was some time beginning of November, 2011. So now it's my skating one-year-anniversary!

I am so glad I started figure skating, I love it so much! And I'm really lucky to have two great coaches for my group class and another great coach as my private coach : )


To summarize this year, I've learnt:
LFO, LFI, RFO, RFI, LBO, RBO 3-turns
Forward & backward inside mohawks
RFI, LFI brackets (kind of)
Forward & backward, CW & CCW crossovers
Forward cross-strokes
Forward shoot-the-duck
Lunges
T-stop
Two-foot spin
One-foot upright spin
Scratch spin (when I'm brave)
Sit spin (occasionally)
LF, RF spirals
Waltz jump
Toe loop jump
Salchow jump
Loop jump
Flip jump
Lutz jump (but it disappeared)

Wishlist: (not quite the same as goals, since I'm nowhere near working on some of these)
Twizzles
Ina Bauer/spread eagle (better yet, layback Ina Bauer)
Attitude spin (better yet, layback spin)
Back spin
Lutz
Axel !?

When-you-wish-upon-a-star wishlist:
Double loop! (I don't know why, I just like double loops better than the easier toe loop and salchow)
Unless Father Christmas is coming down the chimney with a double loop for me, I doubt this will be happening anytime in the foreseeable future. But a girl can dream =D


The downside of skating though, is the ridiculous amount of money I've spent. I've refrained from buying not-entirely-necessary things such as a Transpack (I really want one!) or Chloe Noel pants. Yet within one year, I've spent almost $2500 in total...
$ 325 on clothing (including guards and soakers) and protection (gel pads big part of the $325)
$ 580 on skates & blades
$ 635 on group lessons
$ 540 on private lessons (this will soon far overtake the group lessons)
$ 248 on freestyle sessions
$ 33 on sharpening
$ 75 on club fee
$ 36 on a rink locker
I keep records of all I've spent to keep myself under control, but looking at these numbers is just depressing!


So all the more reason to work harder!!
For now, the immediate goal is to pass that pre-bronze MITF and freeskate!

Another year of happy skating, start : )

4 comments:

  1. Not for nothing my dear, but you haven't spent all that much. It's about the same as a 2 week trip to Hawaii. Two years and you have a flip jump (the bane of my existence). You have accomplished things that no ordinary mortal can do. My hat is off to you. Go boldly. Skate confidently. Do. Live. Be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 2 week trip to Hawaii does seem a lot to me right now :p And this coming year will only cost more, since last year, I started private lessons pretty late. Next year, private lesson fees are going to make up the bulk of the spending...

      Delete
    2. I am amazed and impressed that you've accomplished so much, so fast! I finally gave in and started learning to skate about two months ago, after years of being a skate mom to my three kids, and I'm just barely up to working on forward edges! Be proud of yourself. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you Ruth :) I never learned my basics well though. Like I can do all those things I listed, but I can't do them well. There's still so much room for improvement on everything. Things have slowed down a lot lately because I've been going back and learning to do everything in the correct well and nicely. It's probably actually better to take it slow at the beginning so you get all the basics solid! I'm happy for you taking up skating, have lots of fun!!

      Delete