Tuesday 15 January 2013

Beginnings of a program

Today has got to be the most exciting lesson I've had so far! We started working on my very first program! Coach J showed me the whole program before teaching it to me and so I got to hear for the first time my music on the rink loud speaker. I love my music and love the program that coach has choreographed.

Here's another new "I'm a real skater" milestone! Having a program music CD and hearing it played over the whole rink!

I was getting quite worried last week, realizing that I only have a little less than two months till the rink recital, and we haven't started anything on the program, except to decide which jumps we want to put in. I was also getting rather confused, not knowing how a program should be built. I wondered if it was the norm for a skater to be choreographing with the coach, or if the coach does all the work. I certainly hoped it was the latter since I have no idea how and what to choreograph, but due to the lateness (in my mind) of starting, I was worried if coach was expecting me to do something. Well, for all new skaters out there with their first programs coming up, don't worry, coach does it all.

So I went to lesson today and coach had my entire program choreographed. So happy! And I feel a lot less worried now, I'm remembering the choreograph faster than I expected. I learned 1:00 out of the 1:40 program in our half-hour lesson today, so I should be okay in terms of remembering the program. Of course, making it look pretty is another matter. I even drew a test-booklet-style diagram of the first minute (I go around the rink once in this time, I'll need a new diagram for the next half.), so I won't forget:


It's not very to scale since the paper is the wrong ratio for the rink, should be a little longer I think.

Overall, I have four jump passes in the program: salchow-toe loop, waltz-loop, toe loop, loop, and two spins. Currently the spins are just a one foot spin and a two foot spin, since my spins suck and I can't do anything else. I'm hoping very much that I can exchange the two foot spin for a sit spin. I practiced sit spins a little today, and they actually felt better:


Before I would always enter the spin and be on the toe pick (leaning too forward). Today I managed to stay on the sweet spot and it felt good. I managed about 4 revs here too, even though that's barely sitting at all lol. I'm going to practice extra hard on sit spins now!

I'm sooooooo excited to be doing my first program!
Can't wait till it's all complete!

9 comments:

  1. Have fun learning your program - I'm sure it will be beautiful! I just found your blog today and am excited to find another adult skater. Hope you'll pop by my blog for a visit sometime. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eva! Thanks for visiting :) Do you have a skating blog?

      Delete
    2. I don't, but I talk about it on my baking blog - Eva Bakes (www.evabakes.blogspot.com). I have a skater caricature on the blog header too!

      Delete
    3. That's a really cute skater baker!

      Delete
    4. I liked the skater baker, too!

      Delete
  2. That's so exciting! Congrats on your next "real skater" moment!

    It's also fascinating to see how different coaches do things. My coach choreographed my program too, but she did it differently - she listened to the music on her own, then in lesson she showed me steps and had me do them, and tweaked on the spot. (She asked what I wanted to do, but I had no idea so I left it all up to her.) If something kept tripping me up we'd move things around or modify steps as we went, and we built from there. So we'd run the first 15 seconds three or four times until I knew them, and then tack on 15 more seconds, etc.

    Your drawing is a neat idea - I'll have to try it next time! I wrote my program directions out in words, not in pictures, but I think a diagram would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't tweaked anything yet but I'm sure that would come up. I especially hope that if I progress while I still have this program, we can tweak some of the footsteps to harder ones. Right now, it's full of 3-turns since that's pretty much all I can do lol.

      My diagram also has numbering labels on it along the way, so I can right in more detail on another paper what I'm supposed to do in each place - like a 3-turn with arms overhead.

      Delete
  3. Janie, this is so exciting! I'll be starting work on a program with my coach in the next week or two as well! I'm also nervous because the competition seems so close, but she keeps telling me not to worry. I can't wait to see your final product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh so you found music that you liked? (I saw you worrying over it on the forum) When's your competition? My coach also always tells me not to worry, she knows I worry a lot lol.

      Delete