Saturday 4 August 2012

Scratch spins and back spins

This was the week of progress for spinning!

I managed my first complete scratch spin down to the exit on Thursday. No falling out of it like usual. I think I got four revolutions out of it too! Happened two more times on Friday as well! I also rotated a lot faster than I've ever spun before. Even though the success rate is still pretty low, I think I can now feel where the sweet spot is. I can't stay there yet, but I can notice it as I wobble back and forth searching.

I think crossing my legs is part of the problem with my scratch spins, I'm too scared! I want my leg to be out there to put down when I'm going to fall. I'd just go splat on the floor if the free leg is crossed and I topple. Not having the arms out to balance/break the fall doesn't help either.

This crossing the leg business came up again as I was taught the back spin for the first time. I was hoping for a right-legged version of the one-foot upright spin, but according to assistant coach, you have to start with crossing your legs on the backspin. It's haaaaard! So scary. This is probably going to take a long long time to learn.

But I'm finally making some sort of visible progress on spins so I'm really happy : )

2 comments:

  1. Yay, congrats on spin progress! I'm making a liiiiittle bit of progress on mine (just upright, not scratch), but it's still slow going.

    Backspin freaks me out, period. Okay, I feel like everything freaks me out when it's new, so that isn't saying much. But really, backspin feels all wrong and scary, like I'm about to fall at any moment. BECAUSE I AM, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Progress is slow though. Nothing new has happened since I posted this, which was over a week ago. I can properly spin, but scratch spins aren't stable. Still, it's better than nothing, I'll take it!

      I have to confess I haven't been practicing my backspin at all :( It freaks me out too!

      Delete