Tuesday 24 July 2012

Back to basics

Day 2 of private lessons with coach J. I must say that I'm a little down right now, but the problem is mine and I still love having private lessons.

I started officially learning figure skating with joining the adult novice/intermediate group lessons, without doing the beginners class, because I already could skate forwards, backwards, swizzles, two foot turns, sort-of spiral, sort-of crossover by myself already. The upside of this decision was that I went straight into learning fun things like waltz jumps, whereas the first lesson of the beginners class they were still trying to do forward stroking. The downside though, is that my basics aren't solid. And I'm paying for that now...

I've decided to take USFSA tests, so we started working on my pre-bronze MIF. That's when I discovered how woefully lacking in those basic skills I am. My edges aren't the best, but after last week's lesson, I can now do consecutive forward outside and inside edges pretty well (I think). However, the backward ones are dismal. Good thing coach J thought to ask, but it turns out part of the problem is that I don't know how to correctly do backward stroking! Wow, for someone who's onto learning Lutz jumps, I can't backward stroke??!! I guess my backwards skating has been a home-made combination of wiggles and half swizzles, not the correct way where you do half swizzles, completing the half circle pushing all the way, and lift that leg up forward. This is now on my homework list before we can try the consecutive back edges again.

The one-foot upright spin has improved the teensiest bit. Coach J was nice enough to say that they look much better than last week. One-foot spins are still homework, and will remain there for quite a while I predict.

We spent the entire half-hour lesson today going over these basic elements. I'm not complaining about coach J. I definitely understand that I need to do this, I need to get my basics solid and she's really helping tons. But oh I feel so useless and immensely stupid. I hope coach J isn't disappointed, coach C apparently said some good stuff about me to her. And I was really itching to jump. Good thing I had another half hour on the session after my lesson, so I did do a few waltz jumps, toe loops, Salchows and loops. I tried filming myself with my iPhone too, but am having a bit of technical difficulty (as in half of the screen consisted of the edge of the board the phone was sitting on...). Jumps are infinitely more fun than MIFs and spins (sigh).

So now I'm back to the basics, trying to keep myself grounded and patient. I guess it's a good thing that I have the MIF test to work towards, otherwise it'll be hard to motivate myself to work on basic steps, even though they're very important. Working hard.

2 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean about itching to get to the fun stuff. I have a rule with myself that I have to first practice my basic skills and moves before I let myself move on to jumps and spins -- say, for at least a half hour. Once I start working on jumps, it just feels like a letdown to move on to crossovers and mohawks, you know? Even though I know those are things to work on.

    I think that was one of the reasons I went with private lessons right away, because I did a group session early on. My private coach would correct me on the spot, but my group instructor would give the class a general once-over and say, "Good job." And I KNEW I wasn't doing them perfectly, but I got very little feedback. I found the thought scary that I could conceivably move upward through the levels with some crucial errors going uncorrected. To keep thinking positively - I think your basics will improve really fast now that you're in privates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing that too! Making myself practice MIF and spins first before I jump. I stick some moves in between jumps though, otherwise jumping continuously gets really tiring.

      My group coach is also very encouraging and positive to whatever I do, I mean she has so many students to take care of, I understand why she doesn't have time to go over details with me. Now that I have a private coach she analyzes to my heart's content, it's almost scary how many details you have to pay attention to all the time. It's great, so hopefully I'll see a lot of improvements :)

      Delete