Monday 9 July 2012

Figure skating and volleyball

You'd think there would be no connection between these two sports, but I've recently discovered a most annoying overlap. These are the two sports that I love and do on a very regular basis. I've wondered for a long time why my waltz jumps always feel so strange. Playing volleyball yesterday I wondered why I was so confused when I tried to jump and spike the ball. Then it hit me... the two motions are so similar yet they are opposite!

To do a full out waltz jump (for an anti-clockwise skater), one would
1. Skate out on the left leg, arms swung DOWN
2. Swing the right leg forward (and up for starting an axel), arms swinging forward and UP
3. Leap off the left foot only

To jump up and spike in volleyball, one would (there are various steps to jump, this is the way I learnt it)
1. Step out the left foot, arms swung UP
2. Step out the right foot, arms swinging DOWN
3. Jump off BOTH feet while swinging arms up

The arm motions are completely opposite and the end jumping is different too! I have now thoroughly confused my body and can do neither properly : (  So annoying. This is going to take a lot of practice to get used to and to be able to switch modes between ice skating and playing volleyball...

No comments:

Post a Comment