Wednesday 19 December 2012

2012.12.19 Practice video

I got up super early today to drop a friend off at the airport, and then have time to go to the ice rink for a one-hour freestyle as well.

Rink was nice and empty : ) A total of six people on the ice. Spent quite some time going through the forward and backward power perimeter stroking and the power three turns, they're fun. I want to have a lesson so I can know if I'm doing them correctly.

Spent the next bit of time working on making toe loops less like toe waltzes, but didn't get much headway. Then worked on salchows to not have them so swingy. I tend to over-rotate if I don't seriously check the FO3 before the jump, but then if I do check and hold the BI edge, I scratch with the toepick as I try to jump. It's easy to do these jumps, but it's hard to do them nicely.

Worked on sit spins a lot and decided to video myself. I already cut out many, many failed attempts. I know precisely what I'm doing wrong yet it's so difficult to not do it! I lean too much forward and so go on the toepick and catch myself on the ice. Also I really need to turn out that free leg. Coach J has mentioned this before, telling me to think of slicing through the air with the heel as I bring the free leg in, and I thought I was somewhat doing this. Until I look at the video. Nope. Need to work on that turnout flexibility (or rather, flexibility in general).

Loop jumps felt really good, they're my favourite jump. I thought I was doing everything I'd been told to do, but looking at the video, there's still more! For one, I don't know why my skating leg is bent as I go into the jump preparation, I meant for it to be straight and bend only as I jump. And then I think my upper body is still pre-rotating a little bit. Also need to keep left arm and shoulder more forward for checking the jump.

All in all, it was a pretty good practice. I wish I could have skated longer, I didn't get round to practicing flips or back spins. I need to be a lot more worried about sit spins and back spins if I'm planning on taking the bronze FS any time soon!


6 comments:

  1. I get so excited when you post a new video!
    Your skating looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! :)
      It's hard to get something that I want to show on video (I record with my phone and have limited space for the video on it), and then there's the hassle of editing the video as well, so I don't do it often :p

      Delete
  2. Your loop is looking good! I agree with you on the salchow--hard to do write. I had been tweaking mine and getting my free leg in a better position, but now it's like I've overcompensated and weird things happen in the jump. Don't know what it is, but it needs work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alejeather! I feel like fixing the jump is harder than initially learning it! Good luck with yours.

      Delete
  3. Sit spins are looking good. I had a coach who made me put a glove between my knees after I swung my free leg around. It made me close my legs for the spin and made it easier to do. Your loop jump looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh that sounds super difficult! I would definitely be dropping that glove a lot lol. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete