Friday 14 December 2012

After pre-bronze

Now that I've passed both my pre-bronze MITF and FS, it's finally time to do things other than test elements in private lesson. My first (and only until next year) lesson with coach J after the test, she said she wanted to teach me some stroking patterns, which are commonly used even by higher level skaters to warm up. It was a combination of stroking and crossovers which seemed oddly familiar. So did the power 3-turns that she taught me next. I came home and checked the bronze MITF elements and lo and behold - there they were! I had just learnt the forward and backward perimeter power crossover stroking and the forward power 3-turns, three of the five bronze MITF elements.

I don't know if it's just because they are new, but they are so much more interesting than the pre-bronze elements. But then, I never found consecutive edges and waltz-eights to be interesting, so maybe my liking for the bronze moves is genuine lol. I'm looking forward to practicing them, but it's hard to practice on public session since you have to go around the perimeter but not in a straight line.

I haven't thought of when I'm going to test bronze, I might take it a little slower this time. I sort of rushed into it for the pre-bronze, and all I did in the last month or two in private lessons was working on these. I got quite sick of it honestly. Good thing I take group classes too, so there was still the balance of working on "fun" stuff of jumps and spins. Hopefully, I can get both bronze MITF and FS done by the first half of the new year.

It will be fun to be able to focus on other things too. I think I'll be doing the rink recital at the beginning of March, so I'm super looking forward to having my first program! Coach J assigned me holiday "homework" to find some music for my program. If only all homework was this fun! I already have quite a few songs I'd love to skate to.

Private coach J is away and then it will be Christmas, also I'll be missing next week's group class, so no lessons/classes for me for a while! I'll still be skating, but it'll be a little break after the test. Look forward to when I get back to lessons/classes next year!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I'm going to try for my Bronze FS until the end of 2013. I have the jumps already, but the spins are not there yet. But even if I get there earlier than the end of 2013, I think I might like the option of competing at Pre-bronze, since I haven't competed at all yet. But I can also skate up to bronze if I want to in the local competitions.

    Good luck finding music! It's a fun but daunting task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I realized after posting this that sit spins and back spins are required on the bronze FS!!! I have occasionally gotten 3+ revs sit spins, but back spins are no where near doable yet... Maybe by the first half of 2013 is a bit out of reach, but I haven't set any deadlines so it's just a dream.
      I could not stop myself from looking for music, I'm super excited! I picked out six and sent them to coach, and I think we've basically picked the one. Can't wait till we start working on the program!

      Delete